Sunday, September 7, 2008

Wow. It's been more than a month since the last time I wrote anything. And what a month it has been.

As much as I've written about how God is a loving, wonderful, caring God, sometimes I can't help but feel hypocritical. I think I'm doing the right things, and then BAM! I find out that I have ignored one of the basic things that God ever asked of me, and I have been doing this for many years.

You see, I've never been baptized. I grew up in the Methodist church. In the Methodist tradition, they baptize infants. I, as an infant, was baptized. The problem, then? I don't believe in infant baptism. Period. I believe that baptism is a choice that one makes after they are saved, as a direct submission to God's will and authority. An infant cannot make this choice, therefore an infant can only be dedicated until he or she makes that decision for him or herself.

When my first son was born almost 4 years ago, my husband and I dedicated him to God. God gave him to us to raise, but only for a time. He belongs to God. So, we dedicated him. The preacher sprinkled water on his head, but that didn't mean anything to me, really. My greatest wish is that my husband and I will raise him in the Lord, and he will make that decision for himself one day. Then, he can be baptized. The preacher that did the service never made an argument for baptism vs. dedication, so I just assumed my way, and life was fine.

My youngest son was born 5 months ago. When I went to our current pastor to talk about a dedication service, I was told, "the Methodist Church does not dedicate. We baptize." Understand that this is the church and these are the people that I have known all my life. I'd gone to that church for 30 years, and the only reason that I didn't go for 2 was because I lived in Richmond. This was NEVER brought to me in such a fashion. I didn't really know how to take it, so I did some research. Fact is, he's right. They don't dedicate. This was not OK in my or my husband's eyes. We resigned from that church at the end of June. I believe that this was one of the most difficult decisions that I've ever made in my life.

We looked around this summer for a new church. It was very important that we find one that was preaching the TRUE Word of God, not watered down, politically correct nonsense. God is and has never been politically correct. After trying a few, we found one that was relevant to our lives and the pastor is preaching the truth. We signed up for a membership class and found out a lot more about the church itself, and decided that this was where God was leading us to be.

There is only one thing standing in my way. I cannot be a full member until I've been baptized. My husband was baptized a few years ago, but I again, never saw the need. After talking about it with the pastor, I decided that I should do it.

Why, then, do I feel hypocritical? Because something that was so important for my children, I didn't feel was that important for me. "Do as I say, not as I do" kind of mentality. Now, however, I feel that it is of the utmost importance, and I am to be baptized Tuesday night. How can I be a good example to my children of submission to God if I don't submit? It cannot happen.

I have mixed feeling about it, though. For one, I am ashamed of myself. I've told so many people about the fact that I am a Christian, but I haven't done one of the most important things that God asks of me. What took me so long, I wonder? Was it because I was misled in my beliefs, or was I just stubborn? I really don't know the answer to that question. It was probably a bit of both, if I were to be completely honest.

Now, however, I feel that God is commanding that I do it, even though I don't feel worthy. I wonder how it will feel? Will I have a "religious experience", or will I just get wet? I hope the former. I look forward to, and pray that God will be there. I know He will be.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Tina...I realize you wrote this awhile back, but I wanted to tell you that I admire you for taking a VERY hard step of leaving your comfort zone of your home church. I am sure they are not a bad church, but sometimes the devil likes us to stay in our comfort zone so that we will not see the truth. Will not being baptized by emersion keep you from heaven...absolutely not, however we should want to follow in Christ's footsteps by being baptized as He was. Praying for you!